The Hon’ble Prime Minster of India Shri. Narendra Modi addressed the nation from the ramparts of Red Fort on August 15th, 2018, the 72nd Independence Day of India and paid homage to all the great martyrs of India. He compared the Ashok Chakra to the flower of Neelakurinji which blossoms once in every 12 years and presented himself as an “Impatient agent of change” who can’t bear watching other countries progress at a faster pace than that of India. In his speech, he presented a very intricate performance report of the nation under his government thus setting up the pitch for the upcoming 2019 elections. In his words, India has now moved from Policy Paralysis to the policy of Reform Perform Transform. In the speech delivered by him, he added that in his vision of India, he sees India leading the fourth Industrial Revolution which can be done by those having Information-Technology Skills. After the careful perusal of his speech the following inferences can be drawn.
Achievements under his regime
- Constitutional status given to National Commission for Backward Classes via the 123rd Constitutional ammendment.
- India becoming the world’s 6th largest economy.
- Maximum number of purchases of aircrafts since independence.
- Setting up of institutions like AIIMS, IIT, IIM etc. in various parts of the nation.
- Promotion of startups in tier-2 and tier-3 cities.
- Implementation of tough policy decisions like G.S.T, One Rank One Pension Policy etc.
- Change in the status of India from a nation in “Fragile 5” category to a multi-trillion dollar investment destination.
- India leading the International Solar Alliance.
- Increase in the value of Indian Passport.
- Saving of almost ₹90,000 crore from going in the hands of fake ids enlisted as beneficiaries of various government policies.
- Provision of electricity in the remotest/last villages of India situated in the North-East Region.
- 2 fold increase in the export of Honey.
- 3 fold increase in the production of sugarcane ethanol.
- Rise of India as the world’s second largest exporter of fish.
- Succesful implementation of Swach Bharat Scheme which saved the lives of 3 lakh children in India according to the report of W.H.O.
- Sanctioning of 13 crore mudra loans out of which 4 crore have been availed by youngsters taking a loan for the first time to set up their businesses.
- Revival of 99 big irrigation projects.
- Setting up of more than 3 lakh common service centres in villages to realise the dream of Digital India.
- Successful launch of more than 100 satellites at once by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Removal of almost 5 crore people from the “Below Poverty Line” category.
- Maximum representation of women in cabinet since independence.
- Increase in the number of taxpayers from 4 crore to 6.75 crore.
- Increase in number of businessmen joining indirect taxes which was 70 lakh since 70 years but which increased to 1 crore 16 lakh after just 1 year of implementation of G.S.T.
- Closure of more than 3 lakh shell companies and restrictions imposed on their directors.
- Shifting of environmental clearance system from offline to online to increase transparency and curb corruption in the process of obtaining environmental clearances.
- Appointment of 3 female judges to the Supreme Court of India.
- Benefits of Aayushman Bharat Policy given to a number of people which is almost as large as the population of Canada, Mexico and U.S.A combined together or almost as large as the population of Europe.
- Promotion in the ranking of India in Ease of Doing Business category by 100 positions.
Stance on sensitive matters
- On the issue of rapes, the Hon’ble Prime Minister referred to such crimes as demonic in nature and strongly condemned such acts. He further gave assurance to the people of India that strict penal action is being taken against people guilty of such offences. He cited the example of Rajasthan and Katini, Madhya Pradesh where the rapists were sentenced to death within 5 days of trial. He further stated that such penal actions should be publicised so that a sense of fear among the wrongdoers is created. With regard to women empowerment the Hon’ble Prime Minister in addition to other things added that despite obstructions being caused in the passing of Triple Talaq Bill by some people, he will keep moving forward for the rights of muslim women.
- North East situation – the Hon’ble Prime minister gave a couple of mentions to the North East in his speech where he cited examples of growth, prosperity and development in the state. On the issue of Maoist Extremism he proudly reiterated that the prevalence of extremism has been reduced from 126 districts to 90 districts. He further added that due to the combined effort of the armed forces, intelligence agencies, security forces and state government, AFSPA (Armed Forces Special Powers Act) has been withdrawn in Meghalya, Tripura and several districts of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Jammu and Kashmir situation – the Hon’ble Prime Minister asserted that the issue of J&K can be resolved only by Sh. Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s approach of ” Insaaniyat Jamuriyat Kashmiriyat”. The government is now providing the villages of J&K funding of crores and crores directly to promote development.He further affirmed that the government is working on reclamation of Dal Lake.
This Independence Day was also a day of various announcements made by the Hon’ble Prime Minister.
- There was an announcement of Grant of Permanent Commission for appointment of Women Officers in Short Service Commission of Indian Armed Forces which the Hon’ble Prime Minister announced as a gift from him to the daughters of this nation serving in the army.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyan was announced on the Independence Day where 10 crore poor families (approximately 50 crore citizens) would get a health insurance of upto ₹5 lakh. The Hon’ble Prime Minister assured that in the coming days even lower middle class, middle class and upper middle class families will also get the benefits of this scheme. The technology testing involved in the implementation of this scheme was initiated on the Independence Day. 25th September 2018, the birth anniversary of Pandit Sh. Din Daya Upadhyay was announced as the launch date of this scheme.
- The Hon’ble Prime Minister announced that ISRO would be soon launching “Navik” and till 2022 on 75th anniversary of independence or before that ISRO would send any citizen of India to space to proudly hoist the national flag in the “Gagan Yaan” after which India would become the 4th country in the world which sent its citizen to space.
The Hon’ble Prime Minister Sh. Narendra Modi gave a very optimistic speech among the citizens thus creating feelings of joy, confidence and faith in the government. But the Hon’ble Prime Minister remained silent on some matters on which his stance was expected by the citizens of this nation. As a result of which this Report Card of his regime remains incomplete.