The Medical Council of India, on 7thJune 2019, vide notification MCI-12(2)/2019-Med.Misc./122527 amended the Medical Institutions Regulations, 1998.
Amendments to Schedule 1, Clause 6
A new proviso was added to clause 6 of Schedule 1. Now with respect to MD/MS, in disciplines where the post of Senior Resident is not prescribed in the applicable Minimum Standard Requirements for the Medical College for 50/100/150/200/250 Admissions Annually Regulations one year experience as Tutor/ Demonstrator/ Resident/ Registrar after obtaining Post Graduate Degree in the concerned discipline shall be required.
With respect to Super Specialty (DM/M.Ch./DNB), from now, the following shall apply:
“Super Speciality (DM/M.Ch./DNB)
Teaching & Research Exp.
|Professor/ Addl. Professor (5 years of Post SuperSpecialty experience)||A super specialty post graduate qualification in DM/M.Ch./Super-speciality DNB in the concerned subject as per notification dated 01.11.2018 Regulations
department in a teaching Institution. OR
MD/MS/ Broad specialty DNB in concerned subject as per notification dated 01.11.2018 with three years work experience in respective Super specialty Unit/Department in a teaching Institution with the following conditions:-
|Associate Professor in the subject for 3 years in a permitted/ approved/ recognized medical college/ institution with 4 Research Publications in Indexed Journal on cumulative basis with minimum of 2 Research publications during the tenure of Associate Professor as Ist Author or as corresponding author.|
|Associate Professor/(2 years of Post Super Speciality experience)||– do-||As Assistant Professor in the subject for 2 years in a permitted/ approved/ recognized medical college/ institution with 2 Research Publications in Indexed Journals as Ist Author or as corresponding author.|
|Asst. Professor||– do-|
1. The academic qualification as shown above will be the academic qualification required for teaching faculty post for a period of 10 years w.e.f. date of notification. It is reiterated that only the academic qualification of respective Super Specialty subject will be the required academic qualification for appointment to the post of teaching faculty after the expiry of the period of 10 years from the date of notification.
2. Persons appointed as teaching faculty during the transition period of ten years shall be entitled for promotion to the post of Associate Professor/ Professor even after the transition period of ten years over. Such person shall also be entitled to hold the teaching position held by her/him until the age of 70 years in same or any other Medical Institution.
New addition to Schedule 1
A new clause i.e. Clause 12 has been added to Schedule 1, as per which, in the subjects of broad specialty where requirement of special training is prescribed, such as Nutrition, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Human Metabolism, Marine Medicine, Virology, Infectious Disease, or may be prescribed, the following experience shall also be considered :
MD/MS/Broad specialty DNB in concerned subject as per notification dated 01.11.2018 (as prescribed for particular subject) with three years work experience in respective specialty Unit/Department in a teaching Institution with the following conditions:-
- Work experience is duly certified by the Head of Unit and/or Department, and endorsed by Director/Dean/Principal.
- Such faculty member must have devoted at least 2/3rd time in such specialty during last 3 years (Teaching, Clinical and Research work duly certified by the Head of Unit and/or Department and endorsed by Director/Dean/Principal.
- Documentary proof of contribution to teaching, research, clinical services/public health etc. in concerned speciality.
Amendment to Schedule 1, Table 1
In the “Minimum Qualifications for Teachers in Medical Institutions Regulations, 1998”, in Schedule 1, in Table I in respect of Sports Medicine course as quoted in Clause 8, following shall be substituted in the column for Academic Qualification required for Professor, Associate Professor and Assistant Professor.
M.D. (Sports Medicine) /
M.S. (Orthopaedics) /
M.D. (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation)/
DNB (Sports Medicine) (Equivalence as granted by the Gazette Notification 01/11/2018).
Copy of notification: MCI-12(2):2019-Med.Misc.:122527